You Can’t Hurry Love by the Supremes
Okay, I wont lie. It was really hard to choose a song for this because I love them all and could talk about them for forever!! But I went with “You Can’t Hurry Love” by the Supremes because I love their sound and I love their song! When I first heard this song, it was actually Phil Collins version. They’re pretty much the same, but they differ a little. First is in the Supremes’ version, there’s several voices and different background shouts going on (like during the chorus).
I love the tambourine in the back during the entire thing and at one point it even gets a solo! The drum is also really good in this because it’s different than most drums in a song. Instead of being played the entire time, the main percussion instrument holding the tempo is the tambourine. At one point the drum cuts out and comes back in to emphasize the singer coming in!
My fav line is “how long must I wait, how much more can I take, before loneliness will cause my heart, heart to break?” because it was so real. I like that even though the song isn’t necessarily sad or in a minor key, it still poses some deep questions and is super relatable. I think this song is an absolute bop and I love the rhythm!

Hey! I loved reading your interpretation of this song. This is also one of my favorite songs and it has been for a long time. It's kind of weird how such an upbeat song can communicate such a deep meaning of loneliness. In any sense though you can't help but to like this song and pay attention to the lyrics. It's a very powerful piece and I'm glad you got as much out of it as I do!
ReplyDeleteHey Natalie! You did an amazing job this week with your blog post and I really enjoying it! I also picked this song for my blog post because I love it! I think that the point you made at the end about how it doesn't come across as a sad song and has upbeat music, but it still has deep meaning. When you pay attention to the lyrics, you can recognize the heart ache and pain that we all go through when we are single and hoping to find love. Thanks for your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteI have actually never heard this song before this class and I cannot necessarily relate to the lyrics but it most definitely is a bop. The words seem to be somber but the tone of her voice and of the instruments is quite the opposite. She doesn't want to make her listeners sad, she wants to get them dancing and feeling the music instead of just swaying their heads. Very beautiful song and you did a great job on your breakdown very well done.
ReplyDeleteHello Natalie, thank you so much for your post! I had also never heard this song before this class and honestly it’s not really my cup of tea. However I’m really glad that you decided to write your weekly post about it, and I feel that really shows how uniquely we all feel and experience music, which is so cool to me! There were a lot of fantastic songs to choose from so I definitely understand how difficult it was for you to make the decision. Thank you for this post! It’s inspired me to go give this song another listen!
ReplyDelete