"Somebody to Love" by Jefferson Airplane
Okay so as soon as I played this song my mind was taken to TikTok, that may sounds funny (and to be honest it is), but it just goes to show how a song can get big in a different time and place. Just like how Claire de Lune by Debussy and the Swan (Saint-Saëns) are both very big on Tik Tok even though they were originally published a long time ago. This also has happened with lots of other songs like “Put Your Head on My Shoulder” by Paul Anka, which is definitely a 50s crooners kind of song. The song that’s used on TikTok is definitely a remix of the original, as the original doesn’t have as hard of a bass drum kick at the chorus.
This song is super fun though! I love the upbeat rhythm and the chord progressions. Also the simplicity of the chorus really helps people to recognize the song pretty easy and sing along to it without having to listen to the song all that much. My favorite line from the song would have to be: “your eyes, I say, your eyes may look like his, yeah, but in your head, baby, I’m afraid you don’t know where it is.” I’m not even really sure the meaning of it but I think it’s poetic and I like the overall theme of the music. The guitar solo is also pretty sick and not too crazy, which I like because then I can enjoy it more.

Hey Natalie, I love how you also know this song from TikTok. I definitely started laughing when I realized this is the song that that Tik Tok version came from. I think it's great how TikTok has exposed younger generations to such awesome music with new twists. I definitely think songs can be great in their original form, but the use of remixes help them live on for younger people to love too. Thanks for your post!
ReplyDelete