"How Deep is the Ocean" by Irving Berlin (Performed by my fav: Bing Crosby)

 This week I listened to the phenomenal stylings of Bing Crosby and Irving Berlin. They have always been some of my favorites since growing up. I remember listening to all of Irving's songs in 'White Christmas' and 'Holiday Inn' and Bing would just croon away. I think they made a great duo (Irving writing and Bing singing).  This song definitely conveys one of my favorite genres of music.

This particular song conveyed a beautiful and intimate emotion of love and despair if that love was lost. I think this is a definite shift from the past music we heard because the songs of this era and this song in particular is less about dancing and more about conveying someone's emotion for someone else. I think it would be a song you would play on your own or with a loved one. The lyrics are all questions but also answer themselves with each other, which sounds confusing, but it makes sense while listening to it. The music is slow and I would categorize it as a ballad for sure. My favorite part of the song is when Bing really gives his heart to the line "and if I ever lost you, how much would I cry" towards the end. I love that crooning allows for more emotion in the song!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choo Choo Ch'Boogie by Louis Jordan and the Tympany Five

"Here You Come Again" by Dolly Parton

You Can’t Hurry Love by the Supremes